Friday, August 18

A few months back I was in a small local art show, it was my first public showing of my works and I was pretty nervous putting myself out there like that, firsts tend to be like that. Surprizingly, I won two awards for two different paintings, here is one of them.
This oil painting was pretty hard for me to photograph correctly since the size is larger than I am used to. This is about 46" X 29" done in oils

I called this "Stark Ratio" because of the high contrast in values and also, the very soft dress is contrasted sharply with the very "manly" depiction of the features..is it a man..is it a woman, I thought that this ambiguousness would add tension...did it?... you tell me.

1 Comments:

Blogger Luis Colan said...

Hey Tod, this painting is unbelievable. I can't even begin...the contrasts in values is perfect, the application of the paint is juicy, the color of the background and dress are exquisite. This painting has a lot of precense, and whether if its a guy or a woman it doesn't matter because when looking at the painting you get the sence that an actual human being is there. That's hard to do, to capture a sitters persona in paint. Many can paint the likeness of some one, but very few can give you the real thing. My frind, with this painting you are one of the very few!

12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home